Time for a new Linux

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 11:40:07 UTC 2003

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 00:46:08 -0500
"Teddy Mills" <teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> So if RH is exiting, and Fedora is too new, what Linux should I look
> for, that is...
>
> similar to RH
> keeps a good balance. (that is, not too behind the times or ahead of
> the times)
> keeps current
>
> I dont know the BSDs,  now would be a good time to correct this.
>

> The Linux and BSDs that I am leaning towards are
>
> Mandrake, FreeBSD, Slackware

Well, YMMV, but I have been using Mandrake since about 8.0 and I am
*very* satisfied. Very easy to install and configure, supports a lot of
newer hardware, excellent package management (not perfect...just
excellent, so all you Debian folks can relax). Tons of software
contributed by a huge community of package maintainers (eh Austin?).
Best of all, for me at least, is the community support. I am on both the
Mandrake Expert and Mandrake Newbie mailing lists, and there is always
friendly and knowledgeable and patient support to be had, as well as the
occasional (ya right) offtopic but funny and/or informative and/or
argumentative threads.

Personally, I would put Debian as my second choice, the install is not
quite as easy but it's not difficult if you have even the slightest
knowledge of partitioning and such, plus the package management is
second to none. Configuration tools are not as slick as Mandrake, but as
I posted earlier, Webmin can make configuring almost any Linux system a
snap.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046