Time for a new Linux

Byron Sonne blsonne-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 07:36:38 UTC 2003

> So if RH is exiting, and Fedora is too new, what Linux should I look for,
> that is... similar to RH keeps a good balance. (that is, not too behind
> the times or ahead of the times) keeps current

I have been a very satisfied SuSE user for a few years now... nicely put
together distro, your choice of desktops although I must say KDE
integrates particularly well. Uses rpms, if you care about that, good
layout, online updates, *excellent* hardware detection and
configuration. Comes on DVD too... and if you're wondering why it is so
fat in terms of CD/DVD contents, that's cos it comes from Germany where
telco and connectivity fees are rather painful and you don't want to
spend an assload of time downloading or updating over the net.

But enough of my blah blah blah... check it out. Dumped redhat in a
second after working on a SuSE box and never looked back. Well, 'cept
for some wireless stuff that had redhat specific rpms and configs.

I'm not a debhead but I still do plenty (90% of typical admin stuff)
through the command line, build most things from source and often tweak
things without using the built in tools, and it hasn't barfed or bitched
at me yet. Or maybe I've learned to be careful, who knows ;)

'Sides, it ain't made by some sloppy american company and I like that.
The manuals are pretty good too if that strikes your fancy.

> I dont know the BSDs,  now would be a good time to correct this.

Absolutely! FreeBSD, to generalize and in my personal experience, is the
best performing and tightest of all the free unices or unix clones
(linux). But OpenBSD is my favourite (despite no SMP support) and has
the coolest firewalling/packet mangling stuff out there; pf is a
masterpiece. Don't let Theo put you off ;)

--

	For good, return good. For evil, return justice.