System configuration

Marcus Brubaker marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Nov 6 05:02:02 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 22:19, William Park wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 09:45:33PM -0500, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > > I though linuxconf was the bees knees! Where d'it go ?
> >
> > The plans were vastly more ambitious than the outcome, and the project
> > crumbled under the complexity.
> >
> > The complexity of building extension modules was such that only the most
> > devoted of developers were prepared to put the effort into building
> > them.
> >
> > Interest in Linuxconf collapsed shortly thereafter, alongside the
> > failure of similar ambitions in Caldera's COAS system.
> >
> > The tools that are of ongoing relevance are:
> >
> >  a) Webmin, which has an easier system for integrating in modules
> >     written in Perl, instead of in C++, and
>
> I could write Linuxconf in shell (and its friends), if they paid me.

The sheer amount of arbitrary text processing required makes perl an
easier choice for those kinds of modules, hence the success of Webmin
and, relative, failure of Linuxconf.  Of course, by an informal
extension to the Church-Turing Thesis we can claim that all languages
are equally powerful, so yeah, you could do it shell.  But I don't know
if there's enough money out there to make it worth my while to write
something like that in shell.  Ick....

--
Marcus Brubaker <marcus.brubaker-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org>