Return of the Phantom USB Device...

Peter King peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 03:30:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 08:15:51PM -0500, Tim Writer wrote:

> Where was it partitioned and formatted?  If the answer is OS X, you may need
> to have support for BSD partitions compiled into your kernel.  If it came
> with a Windows formatting utility, it won't probably won't hurt to reformat.

It was partitioned at the factory, presumably by Samsung. I've now
checked it with dosfsck, and found that there are mysterious "hidden
sectors" on it, and I'll just bet that if I redo it under Linux --
perhaps even under Windows -- those hidden sectors will be a real
problem. I think I'll cave in. No netsearch turns up anything on the
subject, so either nobody else has a problem or Linux users are staying
away from this device.

Peter King			        peter.king-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Philosophy Department
University of Toronto			    (416)-978-3788 ofc
Toronto, ON   M5S 1A1			    (416)-978-8703 fax
    CANADA

                All your base are belong to us...