Fedora Linux

cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 03:01:13 UTC 2003

> I think with Fedora that it will be a good community distribution that
> continues forward more quickly than Debian in the core server areas --
> these will be driven by RedHat.  Possibly, in the desktop areas its
> progress may slow some, but RedHat does have it's WS Edition. If the
> Fedora community flourishes this also will help.

Fedora will only _survive_ (and by that, I mean "not disappear as an
abject failure") if RHAT devotes serious resources to it; as serious as
they have been devoting to "Red Hat Linux."

If, instead, they depend on community contributions to replace their
efforts, then this requires that other people be convinced to donate the
assistance that RHAT has clearly demonstrated, by the fact of their
establishing this new distribution, they DON'T wish to give.

For there to be any kind of success, a community has to _quickly_
flourish around it, with a LOT of people joining in to manage one
package or another, and they'll have to go through the growing and
learning pains that the Debian project has already gone through in
establishing exactly that sort of distributed network of package
managers.

And there also lies another challenge; why should someone experiment
with contributing to Fedora which might fall as quickly as it rises when
they could join an already-strong network of Debian packagers?  Fedora
needs to draw from that same set of people.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="ntlug.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linux.html