after Linux, what? in place of Hurd, Eros, Brazil,...?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 02:28:36 UTC 2003

On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 10:47:34AM -0500, Robert Brockway wrote

> I think there is a happy medium.  RH certainly has problem with their
> release cycle imho (x.0 versions certainly had a reputation for being
> buggy) but IMHO Debian can be a tad slow - the Stable release cycle
> is currently around 2 years.  I'd like to see it reduced to 1 year.

  Usually, individual apps can be updated without updating the whole OS.
I think there might be an argument for a new major stable version after
the release of a new stable (even-numbered 10ths digit) linux kernel.
That's when you tend to get actual new features.

> I'd also like to see the kernel cycle reduced.  I argue that with
> shorter development, freeze & release cycles the overall workload
> is reduced because overall complexity of each cycle is reduced.

  Sounds just like Windows 3.11/95/95OSr2/98/98SE/ME/XP.  No thanks.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did