Alternative to GAIM

Jason Shein jason-gaRZxGPHtpBxZtjKW1aY+1aTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 02:21:02 UTC 2003

Tom Legrady wrote:
> AMSN generates shell script errors and compile errors. I gave up
> attempting to install it. Maybe next version
>
> Tom
>
> Chris Aitken wrote:
>
>> John Moniz wrote:
>>

>>> Amsn is a good alternative to gaim for anyone having trouble installing
>>> a version of gaim that works with the latest msn protocol. AMSN is very
>>> easy to install and to use - even allows file transfers. The "A" in amsn
>>> is for Alvaro, the Spaniard who built it.
>>>

>> The file is adevertised as amsn - rpm, but has a .php extension - I don't
>> know what to do with a .php file...
>>

>>> http://sourceforge.net/projects/amsn/
>>>
>>> John.
>>>
>>> --
>>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org
>>> TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
>>>

>> --
>> The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://tlug.ss.org

Um, the latest tar.gz extracts to a directory called msn. The file
called amsn.desktop in this directory is executable as is. no compiling
needed. Works great. I have been using amsn for the last 2 years with no
problems.

 From the download page

-snip-
Download amsn-0_xx.tar.gz

$ tar xvzf amsn-0_xx.tar.gz

$ cd msn

$ ./amsn
or
$ wish amsn

If command wish is not found, you need to install tcl/tk packages (tcl &
tk).
-snip-

--
" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
        And decide to replace them with something stronger"