backup stratagems

lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org lloyd-fEEwcc3XMu8jODpR/OX0VQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Nov 5 03:03:41 UTC 2003

> Alright, backups are unquestionably essential.
>     I admit to practicing the crudest of methods; drag everything into a
>
> k3b session, whenever my spidey sense tells me to.
> My most recent mishaps with modules have me considering more formal
> alternatives.
>     linux-backup.net has several (bash & perl) scripts that look clever.
> Hdup monthly/weekly/daily approach makes sense
>     mondos' bootable backup isos are compelling
>     offsite over-the-net sounds practical
>
> What do you use ?
>     ..discuss ..

There was a very good newTLUG meeting about this 1.5yr ago:
http://tman.dyndns.org/~ttanski/backups/

Have things really changed?  When I last looked around, after that
meeting, this is the list I made:

gratis:

storix: "FREE personal-edition"
arkeia: "try it for FREE"
tar/cfdisk
rsync: option to create a live backup on the system.
partimage
mondo
Webmin ? has filesystem backup, GNU tar... careful if services are up ;-)
Amanda
cpio
dd
taper

For my own needs, version control + backup specific files has always been
sufficient.

Cheers,
Lloyd