after Linux, what? in place of Hurd, Eros, Brazil,...?

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 15:47:34 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Walter Dnes wrote:

[discussion was speed of Debian releases]

>   AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH  NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

:)

> ..then I suggest Redhat, which is dropping support for 7.1, 7.2, 7.3,
> and 8.0 in less than 2 months.  RH9 gets dropped in April 2004.  Some of
> us actually prefer to *USE* our computers rather than install new OS
> versions every few months.

I think there is a happy medium.  RH certainly has problem with their
release cycle imho (x.0 versions certainly had a reputation for being
buggy) but IMHO Debian can be a tad slow - the Stable release cycle is
currently around 2 years.  I'd like to see it reduced to 1 year.  I'd also
like to see the kernel cycle reduced.  I argue that with shorter
development, freeze & release cycles the overall workload is reduced
because overall complexity of each cycle is reduced.

Debian's ability to smoothly dist-upgrade (upgrade between major versions
and have it actually work) reduces the need to reinstall boxes too.  I
still backup before a dist-upgrade though :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org, zzbrock at uqconnect.net