OpenOffice.org Performance + rant

Byron Q. Desnoyers Winmill lists-Gb8Tj4xcA4YgsBAKwltoeQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 04:13:11 UTC 2003

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Byron Sonne wrote:
> Sure, while we're at it why don't we cut power to our houses, dig wells
> for water, grow our own food, and knit our own clothes? ;)

Because we would have a lot of trouble running vi after cutting the
power.  ;-)

> all of the above mentioned programs pretty much suck for creating
> nicely formatted documents quickly and without [...] alot of training.

In most respects, I agree.  But I still think that LaTeX produces more
nicely formatted documents.

> I don't have any speed issues (1.7GHz/256MB at home, 500Mhz/~512MB at
> work

I would hope not!  I keep a couple of old computers around for word
processing: 25 MHz/8 MB, and I have no complaints.  In my books, any
document which requires a more sophisticated word processor probably
requires LaTeX.

> But what you do have to understand is that OO.o serves a *very*
> important purpose as it is easy to use

At this point, I would find any modern word processor difficult to use.
It has something to do with the modal behaviour of vi.

Byron.