OpenOffice.org Performance

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Tue Nov 4 00:35:25 UTC 2003

On Sun, Nov 02, 2003 at 10:10:20PM -0500, cbbrowne-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org wrote

> If you look at what is _actually happening_, there is nothing
> ambiguous about it, except when you use ill-defined terms like
> "running GNOME" to describe it.
>
> What you are _truly_ doing is "running X," along with some set of
> libraries and applications in addition to some window manager that may
> or may not have any kind of association with any of these projects.
>
> - KDE is not a window manager, as is quite well documented by that project.
> - GNOME is not a window manager, as is rather less well documented.
>
> Both are far and away best described as "application frameworks."

  I deliberately used the word "desktop", not "window manager".  The
usual situation is...
  - X at lowest level
  - window manager on top of X
  - optional "desktop" on top of the window manager; cutsie icons strewn
    all over, and ooey-gui, touchy-feely interaction.
  - actual applications that do the work that you bought your computer
    to do

  In my personal experience, a 433 or 450 mhz machine with 128 megs of
RAM is *PAINFULLY* slow with an optional KDE or GNOME desktop running.
Remove the "desktop", and the programs run reasonably fast.

  I don't use the word "application framework", because that includes
some necessary libraries that applications use, as well as all eye-candy
on the desktop.

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did