printing over the network

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 19:36:38 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 01:14:58PM -0500, Chris Aitken wrote:
> I'm trying to print over the network (both machines are rh 7.3) for the
> first time.
>
> I used printtool and chose 'UNIX printer' (instead of the usual 'local')
> which prompts for 'Server' into which I entered 192.168.0.1,
> as I don't have any name resolution on the network yet.
>
> I left 'Queue' blank as printtool advised that it would just use the
> default print queue on the server.
>
> I was excited when I heard the printer in the other room pulling a piece
> of paper from the tray.
>
> It's just gobbledy gook on the pages - just a line or two at the top of
> God-knows-how-many-pages
> if I didn't kill the print job. I did lpq -P [printername] then lprm
> [job name] to end the job:
>
> lpq -P hpdeskjet
> lprm 159
>
> The DeskJet 692C works fine locally on the 'Server' (as printtool refers
> to it). I chose the same print driver
> at the remote machine as the 'server' - HP > Deskjet 692c > hpijs.
>
> Any ideas?

I use cupsys on all the machines here since it allows auto browsing and
pickup of .ppd files for each printer and makes them available to all
the Linux machines running cupsys (and Mac's running 10.2 or newer) and
can be manually picked on win2k and newer machines as well as win9x with
the right add on driver installed.  Makes the print setup trivial.
Everything is sent around as postscript or raw native (in the case of
windows machines).

THe old fashion obsolete lp print system is just too painful and limited
to bother with.

Lennart Sorensen