Phantom USB device!

Peter M Garfield garfield-o1KnIK80MWoTRQv+KTR+0w at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 17:16:16 UTC 2003

Hi,

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Peter King wrote:

> Well, I can't quite "write to it". That is: I see an ordinary directory
> listing; I can apparently copy files to it; I can delete files from it.
>
> But when I unplug the yepp, there the supposedly copied files aren't.

I've had the same sort of problems at work on a Red Hat 7.3 box
with an updated kernel (currently 2.4.20-20.7 according to uname).  If
it's any comfort, at home on a Mandrake 9.x it works fine.  ("It" here
for me is a USB keychain drive.)

One way the problem shows up for me is md5sums on (large) files copied
to the USB device.  For small files, it will match, but not for larger
files.  I haven't figured out the size cut-off because....

I've figured out a (truly awful) workaround for my office machine: it
seems to work immediately after a reboot.  Not what I want to do or
hear, but I'm not root on this machine and our sysadmins are busy
enough with real problems. :)

> What's wrong?

I'm interested, and I hope this has helped a little, but I'm sorry to
say that I don't know what's wrong. :)

Good luck, and please keep us posted,

Peter

--
Peter M. Garfield
Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Toronto
garfield-o1KnIK80MWoTRQv+KTR+0w at public.gmane.org