Phantom USB device!

Ian Goldberg linux-cOjNTMaGA5U at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 17:12:36 UTC 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 12:05:28PM -0500, Peter King wrote:
> But when I unplug the yepp, there the supposedly copied files aren't.
>
> Curiously, I did succeed in deleting some files from the yepp. So Linux
> knows it's there and can do at least *some* file manipulations. But not
> write to it -- although Linux reports that the copy has been successful,
> and duly notes the copied files in the yepp directory listing -- and it
> even decrements the freespace left on the yepp appropriately.
>
> What's wrong?

Are you doing a "umount" before pulling the USB cable out?  It's
possible (likely?) Linux hasn't yet written the changes to the disk,
but they're still in the cache.  I've seen similar behaviour when using
a PCMCIA CF card reader.  The umount will flush the changes to the
device, and then you can safely disconnect it.

   - Ian