OpenOffice.org Performance

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 13:15:23 UTC 2003

On November 3, 2003 07:26 am, JoeHill wrote:

> and IIRC, when you load KDE, or any KDE app for that matter, doesn't it
> load "kdeinit" or something like that, a background daemon for loading
> KDE shared objects and such (the #1 reason I *don't* run KDE, LOL!)?

Yeah but I never claimed it wasn't bloated ;-)

kdeinit is there to preload some libraries and because of the fact that Linux
doesn't seem to handle the loading of c++ libraries very well (quickly).  I
don't understand, or remember, the problem very well but it's something that
everyone from KDE to kernel folk were trying to fix and I'm not sure if
they've "finished" or are still working on it.
http://www.derkarl.org/linking.phtml talks about the problems.