Introduction

jkls jkls-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 03:11:52 UTC 2003

I am returning to this list after about a year of absence because
I am trying to get back to using Linux. In the past I've run
Redhat 6.2 as a firewall router for about six months and Mandrake 8.1
on the desktop for about three months.

I am currently trying to configure Debian 3.0r1 on an IBM 300PL
with a monitor that IBM seems to have forgotten ever existed.
It's called a PS/1 SVGA. I am also trying to put Mandrake 8.1
on an IBM Thinkpad 390X with a bit of a flaky hard drive.

My goal is to learn something about the basic servers.
Syslogd, sshd, inetd, bind, named and dhcpd. Following that
I would like to work on Apache, Exim, and ftp servers.

My immediate goal is get syslogd to to receive remote log
messages and to learn a good method of monitoring logs.

I will probably start firing off questions soon.

LS