SOS; apt-get dist-updrade mashes modules

davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Nov 3 05:38:49 UTC 2003

Howldy fellow tluggers,
	I'm in the digital doghouse again, after flying high I've crashed and burned. Allow me to explain;
	My knoppix-installed debian stable/testing system has been running fine on my PIII500 w. 512 ram.
apt-get got testy recently, when knx-alsa and alsa-base ceased to play nicely.
Thanks to Kareems, I resolved the conflict by removing them both with the same "apt-get remove" command. I then reinstalled alsa base. ooooo happy happy !
	my next stroke of genius was "apt-get dist-upgrade"
I have invoked this bit of debian black magic about 5 times now. The first time, immediately after a knoppix-hdinstall (to make the brilliant boot-linux my installed base), was an unmitigated disaster. SPLAT ! trasharoo.. start again !
	Since then, however, I have carefully apt-got (?) my way to sufficiently current level so that "apt-get dist-upgrade" was a good thing. Yes the last few invocations left me with a happy box and that squeaky fresh everything-is-new feeling.
	Well, this time, after resolving the nagging knx-alsa conflict, I couldn't wait to upgrade my dist. The result has (once again) crippled my box.
I can start it up and log in but
	no ethernet (no sympatico)
	no serial devices (no palm pilot sync)
	co CDR (no k3b)
modprobe (whatever that is) has become the anal probe !
	The errors, on startup and shutdown, are clear;
modprobe: modprobe can't open file lib/modules/extra/modules.dep (no such file or directory)
	This complaint is repeated a good twenty times. I have no idea how to fix it.

So where does that leave me ?
	1) thanking my stars for data backups, knoppix and damnsmalllinux boot CDs
	2) hoping to find sage advice in making modprobe happy
	3) considering compiling my first kernel (2.6test9, no less)
	4) starting from scratch, again, maybe this time booting with bonzai, instead if knoppix
	5) not kidding, this time I won't just back up the data, but the whole shebang (mondo ? Hdup ? other?)

	I'm sure this is childsplay, to seasoned sysadmins, such as yourselves, but I could really use some sound advice right about now. This cycle of hero 2 zero is getting a bit tiresome, but I have no choice but to go another round (unless I just switch to a daytimer and a faxmachine ;-)

	i'll just sit here, in the lotus position, at the base of the mountain, untill the guru is IN,
djp