IT Job creations... IT job losses?

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 16:17:36 UTC 2003

On Sunday 02 November 2003 10:20, JoeHill wrote:

> Fraser Campbell <fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org> uttered:
> > The taskbar isn't ugly however the apps and window decorations are.
> > Looks like they were designed by someone whose imagination stops at
> > boxes.  I suppose that's not the fault of XFCE though, I suppose it
> > allows one to configure the window decorations?
>
> I've updated the shot to show you what I'm talking about...

Beauty and ugliness are subjective but what I see is a tonne of font issues

- lower portions of fonts being cut off in most of the apps you have on screen
- fonts being squished for no obvious reason
  * right portion of "a" missing in "Sans 10" (in  theme preferences)
  * "o" letters are squished, v is broken (window manager preference tabs)
  * "Arial 10" missing right side of 0 (Title font in WM Preferences)

In addition to the font issues, the lower border of the Title Font select box
(WM Preferences) is missing, right border of Close button in XFCE Settings is
missing.

These things jump right out at me and look very amateurish.  Now these issues
are GTK issues I'd guess not XFCE.  XFCE by itself looks fine to me (I did
play with it a few months ago).

I've been a Linux user for 11 years, AFAIK I don't prefer windows style
interfaces (I detest Windows and get knots in my stomach from using it).

KDE has very nice icon collections, I like the default Window behaviour, the
Keramik theme, etc.  I do very little tweaking and am very happy with KDE.  I
am not into all the whiz-bang features that do nothing other than suck up my
CPU (transparency, fading, ???).   KDE is definitely a lot more bloated than
XFCE but on sufficient hardware my opinion is that it is much better than any
of the other desktop environments and the integration of KDE apps is very
useful.  My only fear with KDE is that the level of integration might lead to
Windows style worms and security problems.

Halton Hills, Ontario, Canada                             Debian GNU/Linux