hero2zeroW

davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 19:07:42 UTC 2003

On 01 Nov 2003 23:30:15 -0500
Kareem Shehata <kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-11-02 at 00:09, davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > You got that right !
> > 	Seems things are uglier than I had first feared
> > 		No ethernet (no sympatico), no alsa (or other working sound system), no _serial_ port (no palm sync)
> > module errors on start and shutdown .. I'll be more specific in following post(s)
> > 	In the mean time I have vital data freshly backed up, and access to most everything here in boot linux..
> > 		but all them happily humming apps ..
> > 			sheeit !
>
> Where did you dist-upgrade from?  It's starting to sound like all of the
> nifty hardware auto-detection Knoppix is known for was blown out.  Have
> you tried any of the modprobes?

As far as I know, dist-upgrade comes from various sources in my /etc/apt/sources.list .
It may have been the "apt-get remove knx-alsa" that sent the hardware detection south.
In any case, I got NO peripherals, as far as that debian installation is concerned;
	latest no-show = CDR, at least the mouse and keyboard work ..
I'm not sure how to "try a modprobe" but I am sure that I get a STACK of modprobe / module not found in (something/something) errors on shutdown.
	next time I'll write them down ..

> > Maybe this is a golden opportunity to       install 2.6    .. kernel compile virgin, that I am ..
> > 	crazy ?
>
> I personally think it's a little soon to go to a 2.6 kernel, but I do
> strongly recommend compiling a custom kernel.  Not only is it good
> exercise, I've found that it's one of the single biggest performance
> tweaks you can do.
>
> Kareem

Well, 2.6 seems to be in the later test versions .. and it's so _packed_ with new features ..
Wwell 2.4.22 or 2.6, do you think I could do it _for_ the HD install , _from_ the BOOT install ?
Or (more likely) d/l everything required (with bootlinux) and reboot (into bustedlinux) to recompile.

and when (if) I ever get things working right (again) what systm-wide back-up utility would you recommend ;
I've been considering Hdup .vs mondo

thanks fer listening to my sadsad story, sniff,
djp