IT Job creations... IT job losses?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 12:39:06 UTC 2003

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 20:43:37 -0500
CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> I wrote: "ugly user interfaces that only geeks and zealots could
> love." I rest my case:)

XFCE4 is hardly ugly, suggesting, as I said, that you have in fact never
even seen it. It comes with built-in GTK and WM theme choosers, just
like KDE, with a myriad of slick and eye-catching combos. It makes
Windows, at the very least, look pallid and pasty. Of course, no one
will touch, for now, the slick interface of a Mac, but that's another
story entirely.

I find there is way too much of this "the average user is an idiot who
just wants x to be y", as if we should just accept that an inferior and
bloated OS has already pretty much won. I find the opposite. When I tell
people who've been using Windows for *years* that with a tiny bit of
effort, and some help from a geeky pal or a couple of mails to a list
such as this, they will have a system that seemingly ressurects their
supposedly out of date machine, and saves them the several hundred
dollars to upgrade to XP, the reaction is overwhelmingly positive.

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046