IT Job creations... IT job losses?

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sun Nov 2 01:43:37 UTC 2003

At 13:48 01/11/2003 -0500, JoeHill wrote:
>On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 12:40:56 -0500
>CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> uttered:
>
> > Trying to sell them on XFCE   I think is a lost cause. CDE and all
> > those other user interfaces never  gained wide acceptance for a good
> > reason. They were, and still are, ugly user interfaces that only geeks
> > and zealots could love.
>
>WTF?! Have you even *looked* at XFCE4?! LOL! It's better looking and has
>all the functionality and user friendliness of KDE or Gnome, without all
>the bloat. It's just as easy to configure as KDE, comes with all kinds
>of goodies like it's own file manager, taskbar and panel that allow the
>user to easily add menu's, applets, and program launchers, has it's own
>plugins for system tray, shite man, I could go on forever...

I wrote: "ugly user interfaces that only geeks and zealots could love." I
rest my case:)

>Best of all, thanks to the efforts of many in the Linux community, it is
>*very* easy to install with RPM or Debian packages contributed by it's
>fans.

Again, I rest my case. Non technical, i.e. average users, do not care that
it is easy to install because they expect to have a GUI when they turn
their computer on. They do not know or care about the differences between
window managers and desktop managers. They do not want five choices of
GUIs. They want one and that one had better look pretty.

>I would *easily* recommend XFCE4 over KDE or Gnome any day, for newbs
>*or* experienced users.

You might get away with that for someone who has never touched a computer
before and therefore is not aware of the eye candy that is available on
Windows and Mac OS. For someone that has worked with the alternatives, it
is a tough sell.

Regards,

Clifford Ilkay
Dinamis Corporation