IT Job creations... IT job losses?

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 1 15:49:58 UTC 2003

On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 14:08:53 +0200 (IST)
"Peter L. Peres" <plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org> uttered:

> The one irk I have is the phrase 'linux is not ready for the desktop'.

Absolutement. This is the FUD I deal with every time I tell someone
about installing Linux on their desktop. They are so brainwashed, they
simply cannot believe that most distros out there will boot into a
*complete* and *useable* GUI, with many choices of mail, web, office,
chat, and amusement software already installed. No hassles with
immediately having to go to Windows Update for the 2 hour patch process,
no downloading of anti-everything software, no running to the
software shop for Orifice or other productivity apps, *it just works*.

Then when you try and explain that you don't even have just one choice
for your "GUI", there are literally *dozens*, many of them, like XFCE,
very user-friendly even for newbs, they are shocked beyond belief. And
*then* when you tell them that their "ancient" P3 450 will run like a
wild animal, unlike that bloated XP "upgrade"...well, you've all seen
the facial expression...;-)

--
JoeHill
Registered Linux user #282046