IT Job creations... IT job losses?

Peter L. Peres plp-ysDPMY98cNQDDBjDh4tngg at public.gmane.org
Sat Nov 1 12:08:53 UTC 2003

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003, Keith Mastin wrote:

> >> What exactly is Lindows doing that is so awful?  I don't understand
> >> why everyone is bashing them, I believe there's something that I've
> >> missed.  From what I see of their product it looks excellent.
>
> I gag at the idea that linux guis resemble windoh$s guis. We're copying
> them, not leading them, then we wonder why we always have the feeling that
> our flies are undone.

Who is copying them ? You don't have to run a m$ lookalike window manager.
I don't. And OpenOffice is just another application.

> When we're talking about wide market distribution of a ready-to-wear OS,
> we are not talking about selling what's under the hood, we're talking
> about selling a paint job. The average schmoe doesn't care about the
> subtleties of multi-tasking or secured filesystems, but they should be
> able to get the benefit of them out-of-the-box while convincing themselves
> (and all the friends) that kde or gnome IS linux.

How true. And how bad.

The one irk I have is the phrase 'linux is not ready for the desktop'. It
is necessary to make users understand that gui!=os. A linux machine with
OpenOffice and X11 installed is indistinguishable from a M$ powered (rofl)
pc running office for the average user. So what exactly is the desktop and
what means 'being ready for it' ? Preinstalled Openoffice available on
first boot ? Like in Lindows & Co ?

Peter