sound & partitions

Chris Aitken aitken-BwLjziHGQLusTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 3 08:31:54 UTC 2003

I am starting my own business with the blessing of hrdc.

If anyone is curious for more details you can certainly email
me offline. This post will be long enough as it is : )

Two questions and one request:

1. I am reinstalling linux because I whimped out on my last install
when I had trouble creating /home as a separate partition (I
had the error: could not allocate partition". I settled for only /
(9492 MB) and swap (510). Now I have a sick system. I could
troubleshoot it, but I would still have an installation with no separate

/home partition, which I don't think is a good idea. for a
business.There is nothing
critical in /home now, so I don't think I will bother troubleshooting
just to copy it's contents over the network - no point. But what I
do want to do is have /home on a separate partition on my reinstall.
I don't want to disturb the existing MS partitions (for better or for
worse, for now, I am using Pro Tools Free for the music recording
part of my business). I have a C:\ and D:\  partition on the drive.
That's
only two primary partitions - so, I don't see why I can't create
separate
partitions for /, /home and swap - albeit they won't all be primary.
Does
Disk Druid have trouble with such things? Should I take the adult's
approach and use fdisk?

2. Keeping in mind that want to get up and running again soon, is the
following still my easiest best option?: install rh 7.3 (good multimedia

OS, with sound already compiled into the kernel) and upgrade to 8.0 (to
get Open Office and other goodies).

3. I could continue to use Pro Tools Free on W98SE for the music
recording
part of my business, but I would prefer to do everything in linux. This
is
important to the second phase of this business. I'll keep working
through
_The BOOK of LINUX MUSIC & SOUND_ by Dave Phillips (no starch press),
but that means it'll be a year (I'm not being dramatic) before I'm
recording
sound in linux. If anyone has done this, I'd love to hear from you.

Sincerely,

Chris Aitken