Data recovery emergency on a downed server... Help please!!

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 31 22:58:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 05:12:08PM -0500, James Knott wrote:
> I have 2 identical 60G hard drives.  I simply clone the entire drive
> onto the other, which is mounted in a removable tray.
>
> Also, the best backup system is redunancy.  Make lots of copies, with
> off site storage, to minimize the potential loss.  Live mirrors also
> help protect against physical damage.

1. My advice to those experiencing flaky harddisk...  Spend the money on
    - good power supply and case
    - good harddisk
    - good motherboard
Of the above, power supply is most often overlooked.  It's the most
important thing, in my opinion; and, I don't mean wattage rating on
those.

2. Since I'm running Slackware, I don't do complete system backup.  I
only backup users data (ie. things that were added or modified since
install).  When doing total restore, I just run a script to do the
complete installation of Linux from distribution CD; then, restore the
users data.  For other distro, it may be different, because this depends
on whether you can do unattended complete install.

--
William Park, Open Geometry Consulting, <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>