Data recovery emergency on a downed server... Help please!!

Terrence Enger tenger-ew0EfhANLmVEfu+5ix1nRw at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 31 18:31:45 UTC 2003

At 12:55 2003-12-31 -0500, Wil McGilvery wrote:

> I have not heard of anyone successfully using cd's for backup purposes,
but I do know of people using removable hard drives as an alternate to tape
backups.

I have been using CDs for a while now.  Quite frankly, the
cost of writer and media was the motivating factor, and I
thought that tape would be "better".  However, the earlier
comments here make me think maybe I made a lucky choice.

The backup CDs carried me through one recovery after I hosed
my system quite thoroughly, and every month or so they save
me after a slip of the brain.  But, now that you mention it,
it *is* time to test complete recovery again.

BTW, I have Windows and Linux machines at my desk.  I find
myself moveing more and more to the Linux box just because
my Linux backup procedure is easy enough that I can run it
frequently.

Terry.