Data recovery emergency on a downed server... Help please!!

Ilya Palagin IlyaPalagin-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 30 04:25:11 UTC 2003

Madison Kelly wrote:

> Yep, still under OE (*shudder*)
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, Walter. I did make a copy of the tar.gz file but
> I got nothing useful out of it. I am still waiting now for the darn
> activation code for a MS-based ext3-aware data recovery tool... Maybe that
> will finally crack my rough luck thus far - if it ever arrives!
>
> Tom, thanks for the note about gunzip -c being the same as zcat. I will make
> another backup and give that a go, though my hopes are narrow... Oh, and
> given the current state of my hardware; I certainly would not trust my tape
> to make another dump so Walter's suggestion is/was valid.
>
> Madison (who has passed the 24hours mark and wishes she could just get a
> break and then go home!!)

For your daily backup operations, a recommend you to use star instead of
tar. star has a nice "diff" option, which allows to verify backups. Like
tar, it's multiplatform, so you can take your tapes to a friend with the
same tape drive and try to restore data on his system to make sure that
your backups make sence.