Data recovery emergency on a downed server... Help please!!

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 29 23:12:30 UTC 2003

On Mon, Dec 29, 2003 at 10:51:45AM -0500, Madison Kelly wrote

> PS - I got a dd of th last tape that ran (finally) and it is about 3.6GB
> (about right). I extracted it as a tar.gz (which should work) but it fails
> claiming to not be a gzip archive... Any ideas on that front by chance?

  *MAKE A BACKUP COPY OF THE TAR.GZ FILE FIRST* !!!

  Straight from the man page...
>        tar -xvvzf foo.tar.gz
>               extract gzipped foo.tar.gz
..did you remember the "z" parameter ?

  I've had similar problems with tar.bz2 archives.  I find that doing it
one step at a time works.  Note, you will need a *LOT* more diskspace.

Step 1) zcat filename.tar.gz > filename.tar
  The "zcat" executable is named "gzcat" in some versions.  Use whichever
one works on your system.

Step 2) tar -xvf filename.tar

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did