Formatting in C++ (fwd)

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 29 22:14:39 UTC 2003

On December 29, 2003 01:37 pm, Tim Writer wrote:

> By now, you should be convinced that porting the original program from C to
> C++ yielded no benefits whatsoever at the cost of additional complexity,
> portability problems, and clumsiness.  Note, I'm not saying that's true for
> every program but this particular program was not a good candidate.

I think you are missing a point here. I t was never my intention to port the
program from c to c++ for the purpose of improving the program. It was solely
a learning experience and as such it served its purpose very well. I learned
how to apply C99 standards and after some struggling I even managed to use
the proper formatting tools in C++.
The program itself is rather useless and can now be discarded.
C++ is not the preferred programming language for most Linux aficionados. They
prefere standard C instead. The kernel does not have a single part written in
C++.
However, there is a lot of potential in C++, and anyone interested to write
programs for his/hers use will find it very useful and powerful. To reap the
full benefit it is necessary to get familiar with its syntax and structure.

Extra complexity is introduced for portability reason. If you should not care
for portability you can make things a lot simpler. e.g use the simple types
like int, char, float etc instead of the C99 types. But as always, it is good
to know the later forms, so that you can at least read programs written by
other people.
John