[module pwcx.o]

GDHough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 29 13:51:12 UTC 2003

This is a so called "OPTIONAL" plugin to the pwc driver my system chose to
load for the Logitech QuickCam. I added it in to hopefully unlock some useful
features of the device. In particular, I didn't like the tiny 160x120 images.
I understand that by default there were insufficient buffers available for
larger captures.

pwc and pwcx reference http://www.smcc.demon.nl/webcam/release.html

The method I chose to get the larger captures was quick-n-dirty I know, but
I'm not all that familiar with rebuilding kernels. The problem is RedHat's
versioning. This "OPTIONAL" plugin is NOT available as source and so the
alternatives are to fall back to a clean 2.4.20 kernel or go forward to 2.5
or 2.6.

In any event, insmod --force pwcx does the trick for now.

Another nagging problem is the way this device causes the sound card config to
be overwritten at times. It shows up as 5 new sound devices on a reboot and
if configured then, will become the only sound device available as a
microphone. And the mic don't work either.

I can restore the sound server by rebooting with the cam unplugged. There are
other ways but I'm in quick-n-dirty mode right now.

I believe I can fix the multiple sound card problem with ALSA, I seen
something in the errors about full duplex. So I guess what I'm asking is
this:

Can I avoid another 18Mb syslog thrash with any more quick-n-dirty tricks?
or
Have I reached the work-around limit for this device and need to build that
custom kernel?

farmer6re9
--
Eating Crow is better with MyCrowSauce