Formatting in C++ (fwd)

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 27 18:27:53 UTC 2003

On December 27, 2003 05:42 am, Peter L. Peres wrote:
> setf is in ios:: Maybe your implementation has it elsewhere. C++ is an
> interesting beast when it comes to portability ... you can try to find the
> definition by doing something like:
>
> (cd /usr/include; grep -E "[ \t]ios::ios" g++/*.h)
>
> which yields ios::ios in <g++/streambuf.h> on my system.

This turns out to be a real paper chase.
I have included  <iostream>, <iomanip> <inttypes.h> and a few more.
With this, there should not be any more need to hunt down where 'setf' is
located. Neither should there be any need to find where the fmtflags are or
where ios happens to be.
Any conceivable header file related to have "uppercase" working is included in
the above header files.
This tread has produced a lot of suggestions, some restricted to simple words
like <iostream>,  std::cout.setf  ,<ios>, etc, or suggestions to read some
books.
What is really missing is the correct syntax of how to make "hex uppercase"
work.
Fundamentally I don't really care if a hex number is displayed in upper or
lower case. It is just my curiosity to find out how it is being done.
John