Iptables logging under Debian

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 27 04:40:33 UTC 2003

  How do I tone it down?  Up till now I've been on ADSL (IStop), and my
Netgear router has been blocking the incoming garbage on ports 135 and
80 and etc... iptables never got to see any hits.

  Now I'm about to move to a condo serviced by Futureway.  To complicate
the situation, the owners are unhappy with Futureway and have set the
wheels in motion to switch from Futureway to Bell.  I figure to tough it
out on dialup for a couple of months and apply for IStop ADSL right
after the switch to Bell.

  I'm using 295.ca for dialup and it works OK (Guess what their monthly
rate is <g>).  My only problem is that iptables is logging to the
consoles and I try to stay in text console (80 x 48) as much as
possible.  Only apps that require a GUI get me to flip over to tty7.  If
I'm trying to do anything while connected, I see a message each time I
get a suspicious hit.  I do want to log them, but only to file, not to
console.  I'm using log-level 6, like so...

[0:0] -A UNSOLICITED -j LOG --log-prefix "UNSOLICITED:" --log-level 6
[0:0] -A UNSOLICITED -j DROP

  The manpage is totally useless.  I presume I have to use a different
log-level, but which one ?

Email users are divided into two classes;
1) Those who have effective spam-blocking
2) Those who wish they did