Kernel 2.6 compile: Comaptability

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 27 03:25:23 UTC 2003

I can't remember what module in question is being discussed here...
But I finally got 2.6 running on my box, with all the creature comfort
options (sound, graphics, etc) running.

I *think* the things that are needed are:

new utils: as mentioned before, new modutils, e2fs, psutil, etc...

new modutils: I think you need the newer modutils first before doing
'make module_install'.  I had trouble with loading modules even with the
new modutils until I recompiled and reinstalled the modules again out of
frustration, at which point they worked file.

renamed modules: (on my redhat box),
under /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit, look for the line containing:
  modprobe keybdev
  modprobe mousedev
gotta replace them with
  modprobe uhci_hcd
  modprobe usbkbd
  modprobe usbmouse
look for line containing:
  mount -n -t proc /proc /proc
add line afterwards:
  mount -n -t sysfs /sys /sys
  (remember to make the directory /sys/ as root before rebooting)

Those are the basic things I think that got the mouse and keyboard
working.  I'm also running Alsa using the OSS compatability.

-Jing