Compiling the 2.6 kernel

Jason Shein jason-gaRZxGPHtpBxZtjKW1aY+1aTQe2KTcn/ at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 27 02:00:31 UTC 2003

I came across this handy information and figured I would pass it on,

There are a number of utilities that you will have to upgrade for them
to work properly with your new 2.6 kernel. Some of the utilities listed
in 'Changes' you won't have to worry about, as for example they may be
specific to certain filesystems. However, you will at least need to meet
the minimum version requirements for the following (see
'Documentation/Changes' for the latest requirements -- they may have
changed!):

     Name:              Minimum version:    How to find version:
      Gnu C Compiler     2.95.3              gcc --version
      Gnu Make           3.78                make --version
      binutils           2.12                ld -v
      util-linux         2.10o               fdformat --version
      module-init-tools  0.9.9               depmod -V
      procps             2.0.9               ps --version
      [procps 2.x] [procps 3.x]

The following utilities are filesystem specific. If you're running ext2
or ext3, be sure to update your e2fsprogs, if you're running jfs, be
sure to update jfsutils, etc...

     Name:              Minimum version:    How to find version:
      e2fsprogs          1.29                tune2fs
      jfsutils           1.0.14              fsck.jfs -V
reiserfsprogs           3.6.3    reiserfsck -V 2>&1 | grep reiserfsprogs
      xfsprogs           2.1.0               xfs_db -V
      nfs-utils          1.0.5               showmount --version

And a handful of other utilities that you'll want to update if you use them:

     Name:              Minimum version:    How to find version:
      pcmcia-cs          3.1.21              cardmgr -V
      quota-tools        3.09                quota -V
      PPP                2.4.0               ppd --version
      isdn4k-utils       3.1pre1             isdnctrl 2>&1 | grep version
      oprofile           0.5.3               oprofiled --version

If you're going to be running ALSA for the first time, also be sure to
visit http://www.alsa-project.org/ to grab the latest alsa-lib and
alsa-utils.

  A working NVidia driver with 2.6 can be found at http://www.minion.de/.

Here are a couple of documents that walk you through the specific issues
you may run into when upgrading RedHat 9 to the 2.6 kernel,
http://www.fearthecow.net/kernel.html and
http://thomer.com/linux/migrate-to-2.6.html

Kevin Cozens wrote:
> At 12:30 AM 12/26/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>
>> I decided to celebrate Christmas by compiling a version 2.6 kernel. :-)
>

> There is more to getting a (b)leading edge kernel running than just
> compiling it. In the past, when I wanted to run 2.2 or 2.4 soon after it
> came out, you needed to have more recent versions of about 6 packages in
> order to use the new kernel.
>
> The packages included (IIRC): binutils, modutils, nettools, and some
> others I can't remember. Be sure to check the documentation to see what
> else you may need to update before you try rebooting in to a new kernel.
>

> Cheers!
>
> Kevin.  (http://www.interlog.com/~kcozens/)
>
> Owner of Elecraft K2 #2172        |"What are we going to do today, Borg?"
> E-mail:kcozens at interlog dot com|"Same thing we always do, Pinkutus:
> Packet:ve3syb-XXPEJ3/fxIc at public.gmane.org#con.on.ca.na|  Try to assimilate the world!"
> #include <disclaimer/favourite>   |              -Pinkutus & the Borg

" Eventually people tire of repairing broken Windows,
        And decide to replace them with something stronger"
(o_
//\        Linux - The Choice Of A GNU Generation
V_/_                     Jason Shein
       		Linux Registered User #281100
		 jason-gaRZxGPHtpBxZtjKW1aY+1aTQe2KTcn/@public.gmane.org