Compiling the 2.6 kernel

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 26 17:04:32 UTC 2003

On December 26, 2003 11:51 am, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> > doesn't ash (or any shell) require a kernel underneath? So why don't I
> > just toss initrd and boot straight into the kernel I was going to use
> > anyway?
>
> Debian kernels are modular.

To answer your question, if you wish to do away with initrd then I don't see
why you cannot.  Just compile IDE/SCSI/whatever support directly into the
kernel and you should be fine without an initrd.

Have you looked into Debian's make-kpkg tool, it is trivial to compile your
own Debian kernels (i.e. dpkg installable kernels) using it.