Formatting in C++

John Wildberger wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 26 13:15:01 UTC 2003

On December 25, 2003 09:41 pm, Jing Su wrote:

> I tried a short example, which seemed to work... snippet below.  The only
> catch I found was I had to cast the number.  I think the operator
> overload is sending the number into the character interpretor instead of
> the numeric interpretor.
>
> std::cout << setw(2) << (unsigned int)std::hex << buf[i];

This gives me a long string of numbers starting with
134515590134515590.......
 The number sequense in buf[] is
 01  00  00  00  5A  FF  00  F0  C3  E2
This prints fine with printf( "%.2X ",buf[i]);
I also tried a few other  suggestins, given by by Peter Peres but also with
negative success.
It seems that the good old printf() is still the best to use. It just bugs me
not being able to do it with cout.
John