Compiling the 2.6 kernel

Paul King pking123-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 26 07:48:58 UTC 2003

Date sent:      	Fri, 26 Dec 2003 01:47:23 -0500
From:           	Jing Su <jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org>
To:             	tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org
Subject:        	Re: [TLUG]: Compiling the 2.6 kernel
Send reply to:  	tlug-lxSQFCZeNF4 at public.gmane.org

> > Any suggestions or readings would be of help.
>
> I too decided to play with 2.6 for the day, though I got frustrated and
> stopped.  Anyone know what the deal with the new modules is?  Based on
> some browsing of newsgroups via google, it seems that a new module loader
> is needed? (I'm using the one shipped with RH8).  Anyways, I went and got
> the latest/greatest non-development version of the module loader.
> modules.conf has been replaced with modprobe.conf, and modprobe.devfs.
> Haven't quite figured out these things yet.
>
> Anyways, I've been getting module dependency errors and they refuse to
> load when I boot the new kernel.... still investigating it though, to
> figure out what's going wrong.

Cover the obvious ... Did you do a "make modules" then a
"make modules_install"?

The kernel I installed keeps complaining about an unrecognised block (0,0) on
the boot partition, and does a kernel panic. When I load the default kernel, it
does not have the problem. However, this time I am trying to do this without
initrd (I compiled the kernel with initrd turned off, and do not have an initrd
line in lilo.conf for that kernel).