Compiling the 2.6 kernel

Jing Su jingsu-26n5VD7DAF2Tm46uYYfjYg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 26 06:47:23 UTC 2003

> Any suggestions or readings would be of help.

I too decided to play with 2.6 for the day, though I got frustrated and
stopped.  Anyone know what the deal with the new modules is?  Based on
some browsing of newsgroups via google, it seems that a new module loader
is needed? (I'm using the one shipped with RH8).  Anyways, I went and got
the latest/greatest non-development version of the module loader.
modules.conf has been replaced with modprobe.conf, and modprobe.devfs.
Haven't quite figured out these things yet.

Anyways, I've been getting module dependency errors and they refuse to
load when I boot the new kernel.... still investigating it though, to
figure out what's going wrong.

As for initrd, I found that it's mostly used for scsi systems.  Atleast
it's true in my case.  I needed to pack up the the scsi board module into
the initrd image.  After a while, I found the whole process of initrd
creation to be annoying, and just compiled the scsi driver into the kernel
itself, and did a regular boot without initrd.

-Jing