C programming question

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 24 17:50:25 UTC 2003

John Wildberger <wildberger-iRg7kjdsKiH3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On December 24, 2003 03:47 am, Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
> > Yes, you are right, up to a point. The manpages do not intend to tech you
> > anything, they remind the programmer of all the details. For learning, use
> > a book about programming or tutorials.
>
> The man mmap consists of 192 lines.
> Your sample code has 8 lines. It makes all the difference between useful and
> useless. Why cannot the good people who write these man pages not include
> such gems?

Probably because Linux is a collaborative effort and most programmers (the
people who best understand the functions needing documentation) usually
prefer to program than write documentation.  FWIW, the man pages of
commercial versions of UNIX (such as Solaris), are often more complete than
the corresponding Linux documentation.  I find

    http://docs.sun.com

useful in this regard.  IIRC, The Open Group

    http://www.opengroup.org

also has manual pages on-line.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
905.771.0017 ext. 225                           thornhill, ontario, canada