[xawtv and webcam looping]

GDHough mr6re9-mI4xJ4qlgtBiLUuM0BA3LQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 14:28:11 UTC 2003

In the last year we've had the auto vandalized twice and have been relieved of
three bicycles. I've put motion lights and sound triggers and a new dog all
around this little flat. Recently we've discovered irrefutable proof that the
perpetrators may actually be from next door.

I am building custom MountainBikes and need to know my items are safe in the
home. My solution (since we're already being cased) was to do a little casing
of my own. And without getting into a drawn out justification, this is what
we've done.

Since the suspects are young, male, jobless, social misfits, they have all
freaking day to study our routines. They know when the kids are in school and
we are at work. I have set up a Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000. The darn thing
worked right out of the box. Using 'webcam', a part of xawtv I am able to
grab images and ftp them to the webserver. I also archive the images locally
and with mencoder, condense them into AVI's. The beauty of this setup is I
can monitor our vulnerable backyard entry from any browser in near real-time
(currently a 15 second grab). Unfortunately, the xawtv program 'webcam' does
not do what it is supposed to do and my work-around is generating big logs
and consuming too much cpu on the workstation.

1) webcam doesn't loop at all like it's supposed to.

2) SSH transfer option could not be performed without manually entering a
password. I even set up all the authorized keys and it still prompts me for a
passphrase - I suspect an 'expect' syntax error, but I at least feel more
secure...

3) ProFtp works but again, webcam refuses to keep-alive the connection. My
solution was to create a script and run it from CRON. Now in addition to the
ftp logons and transfers in /var/log/messages, I'm getting gobs of mail from
CRON.

Has anyone had success with xawtv and the webcam looping utility?

farmer6re9
--
Eating Crow is better with MyCrowSauce