Hello Every One

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 11:39:07 UTC 2003

On 21 Dec 2003 23:13:58 -0500
Stephen <roulton623-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I like Mandrake though and I will find out what is wrong. I tried the on
> line update yesterday and I had to re-install the system again. I guess
> I need to learn more before I start with the on line updates.

nah, I think a lot of people are having that problem, which is why I haven't
done an update recently. On the Mandrake lists (I would recommend joining) I've
already seen at least 3 or 4 people who's system was hosed by an update, it is
something to do with bad XFree86 update packages. Lemme guess, you couldn't get
the graphical enviro up after the update, right?

> The same thing happed this time as soon as it came to the summary part
> of the install the thing just stopped. I waited for two hours and it
> didn't start again. I had to reboot with the reset button and fix the
> file system. It does seem to be working better this time though.

Waitaminnit, the summary is where it's supposed to stop, unless I'm thinking of
a completely different part. That's where you are supposed to configure X and/or
any other hardware that hasn't been automatically configured by the installer,
no? You have a list, and beside each item is a button which says "configured" or
"not configured", etc. ?

Beyond that, the only thing I can think of is, as I said before, you got a bad
ISO in there. If you hadn't already just done a reinstall, I would recommend
downloading the ISO's again, checking their md5sums, and burning fresh ones,
but....sheesh, you've been through a lot already. You've either got the patience
of a Saint, or you reeeeaaaaaally hate Windows ;-)

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046