DVD Burning and Viewing

Taavi Burns taavi-LbuTpDkqzNzXI80/IeQp7B2eb7JE58TQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 03:09:39 UTC 2003

On Sat, Dec 20, 2003 at 05:28:33PM -0500, John Vetterli wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Taavi Burns wrote:
> > using just the IDE driver.  Your commandline starts to look something
> > like this (yes, I have but one IDE channel, so hdb is my burner):
> > cdrecord dev=ATAPI:/dev/hdb speed=24 image.iso
>
> Does this setup give you problems?  I was under the impression that
> putting the hard-drive and cd-burner on the same ide channel could lead to
> buffer underrun errors, since the controller has problems dealing with
> both devices in use at the same time.

It's usually a bad idea for me to go thrashing the drive while burning,
and while burning the hd performance is pretty sucky anyway.  Oh,
and when the drive is ejecting or accepting a new disk, or while
finalising a burn, hd access is impossible, leading to the system
locking up on very simple tasks, if they involve something such as
swapping.

Other than that, my drive has BurnProof and an 8MB buffer.  It doesn't
coaster easily.  ;)  The Duron 1GHz and 120GB HD is quite sufficient to
keep things in line, unlike the days of the P-133 and 4GB drives.

;)

--
taa

   Widespread ignorance of the intimate relationships between
   cultural belief systems, childrearing practices and the
   development of violent behaviors will doom any attempts to
   truly understand, and prevent, violence.
         --Bruce D. Perry
/*eof*/