Waaaay offtopic

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 22 02:00:21 UTC 2003

On December 21, 2003 03:05 pm, Byron Sonne wrote:
> > I got a flu shot this year and within 2 hours I had a 40 degree fever.  I
> > was sick for several days.  I think I'll be passing on the opportunity
> > next year.
>
> That is a rare reaction and it is probably much more likely that you're
> reacting to the egg albumin (sp?) proteins used in the production of the
> shot (I believe the strains are incubated in and farmed from eggs).

I eat eggs every day so probably didn't react to that.  More likely that I was
already sick (I did have a (still unexplained) severe toothache prior to
shot).

> I've heard others use the 'my friend got the shot and caught the flu
> from it' as an excuse for not getting it. That's a stupid and idiotic
> reason to risk compromising public health

I do think vaccinations are a good idea, that's why I got the flu shot ;-)

> Think of the taxes that'll go up 'cos of more hospital visits from sick
> folk, cutting down on that would be nice.

It's nice to imagine but if a hospital's costs go down from reduced visits
they'll just find other way to spend their budget ... sure the secretaries
need $4,000 computers with flat-screen monitors ;-)