Waaaay offtopic

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 21 19:09:43 UTC 2003

David J Patrick wrote:

>> One person I'd never believe is a naturopathic "doctor". Naturopathy
>> is based on a bogus belief that a tiny amount of something that causes
>> the same symptoms as a disease will cure or prevent it.  The problem
>> is, that the doses generally prescribed are physically impossible.
>> For example a common dilution of the "medicine" is 10X or divided with
>> water or alcohol 10:1, 10 times.  The problem with this amount of
>> dilution, is that the number of molecules gets in the way.  In order
>> to consume one molecule of the substance, you'd have to drink several
>> thousand gallons of water.  They also have another dilution of 100C,
>> which is 100:1 100 times, which is even more impossible.
>>
>> You might want to read "Voodoo Science" by Dr. Robert Park or "A Demon
>> Haunted World", by Carl Sagan for further info.
>

> I think the practice you are slagging is actually "homeopathy".
> Yes, microdoses sound downright improbable, but I have to say that I
> have seen it used successfully countless times over the last 30 years.
> Just because we don't understand something doesn't always mean it's bogus.

Yes, you were correct in my error about the term, and I corrected my
self in another message.

However, you say you've seen it work over the years.  What proof do you
have?  Have you run studies that show it works?  Or is your "proof"
similar to what the other poster said about his "Zapper" preventing the
flu?  You cannot take individual cases in isolation as proof.  You have
to show it works when compared to other treatments or lack of treatment.

As for homeopathy, at one point in time, it was very beneficial in that
it kept people away from what was then conventional medicine, such as
blood letting etc., which was often more harmful than helpful.  As for
the physically impossible minute doses, how does it benefit the patient,
if they don't receive so much as a molecule of the substance?