VPN question

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 21 00:00:07 UTC 2003

On December 20, 2003 01:15 am, Justin Zygmont wrote:

> Just a thought about VPN's and a hope to get back on topic to fun linux
> things, I was wondering if anyone knows why an encrypted VPN is so
> important using a phone line when it's usually just a point to point link
> with no chance of interception?

If you're talking about a private phone line dialed onto a private network
then I think you have to be doing some pretty serious data pushing to worry
about encryption ... if you're sending credit card numbers,  tax records or
business secrets -- and if it's possible that someone would know that you're
doing it and find value in the information -- then it's probably worth
encrypting for the little overhead involved (cpu utilization for vpn-type
encryption at modem speeds would be a pittance).  If your phone line usage is
sporadic and doesn't involve much sensitive information then I wouldn't see
the value in encryption (though I suppose with such low overhead, why not?).

If however you're phone line is connecting to the Internet then encryption
becomes more important.  Let's say your data travels through 10 different
networks (pretty common) to get to it's destination, anyone with admin access
(or at least wire access) can potentially intercept your traffic.  If you
care about your traffic being private at all some encryption just makes sense
... encryption can be at the app layer (ssh, https, secure imap, etc.), at
the network layer (vpn) or at both the app and network layer.

If by bringing up phone lines you're meaning the old argument of cable being
shared versus DSL not being shared then I don't agree that any distinction
needs to be made in that respect ... either way you're connecting to the
share network known as the Internet.  Also, last I had Rogers, it appears
that my cable connection was switched (I only saw my own traffic and
broadcast traffic.