When will the persecution of MS *end*?!

David J Patrick davidjpatrick-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 20 15:27:35 UTC 2003

James Knott wrote:

> Peter L. Peres wrote:
>
>>> RealNetwork is like after-market car radio company that is suing GM
>>> because GM has the arrogance to put radio in all GM cars, thereby
>>> shutting out after-market radio companies.
>>

>> You mean, if someone invents something and someone else grabs the
>> idea and
>> uses it with slight changes, just enough to avoid a patent suit, and
>> makes
>> millions out of it by leveraging its monopoly position, it's ok, right ?
>

> Anyone remember Stacker?  It's a perfect example of the above.  They
> developed disk compression software.  MS stole the technology and
> included it in Windows.  Stacker won in court, but by then the damage
> had been done.

I used Stacker on my zip100 work disks. Now I have data trapped untill
the day when I set up a Win3.1 box and install the Stacker4 disks I
found at Goodwill.
That day is a long way off, but I guard the floppies that constitute the
shred of hope
that someday I'll get those files back !

Long live open standards !

ps. I once use "MSBackup" only to find that the following version could
not access the
earlier versions backups. I will have no sympathy for the borg, as I
watch their ship implode.