Cogeco.ca blocking incoming port 25 smtp

Fraser Campbell fraser-Txk5XLRqZ6CsTnJN9+BGXg at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 20 02:35:31 UTC 2003

On December 19, 2003 07:32 pm, William Park wrote:

> They blocked dynamic IP when I tried to send to <cogeco.ca>.  So, I
> relayed through my ISP.  Since I haven't received any reject message, I
> assume it's in queue somewhere.
>
> Hmm,
>     $ telnet cogeco.ca 25
>     554 5.7.1 zues2.cgocable.net Connection not authorized

Why are you trying to talk smtp with cogeco.ca, that host isn't listed as a
mail exchanger for them?

>     $ host -t mx cogeco.ca
>     cogeco.ca mail is handled by 0 MX.cogeco.ca.
>
> Someone goofed.  Tell them to fix typo in their DNS zonefile.

Why do you think that someone goofed?  It's not clear to me that anything is
wrong; their mx (as you pointed out) is mx.cogeco.ca, and it's reachable ...

$ telnet mx.cogeco.ca 25
Trying 216.221.81.26...
Connected to mx.cogeco.ca.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 fep5.cogeco.net ESMTP Cogeco Cablesystems