Hello Every One

JoeHill joehill-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 18:17:25 UTC 2003

On 19 Dec 2003 12:55:58 -0500
Stephen Oulton <roulton623-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> When I ran top it told me that from 5.1 to 6.6 percent of my CPU was
> being used.
>
> 85 programs were being used 81 were sleeping 2 were running and 2 were
> zombie.
>
> That doesn't seem like a lot.

No, doesn't sound like anything is chewing up your CPU or memory.

> Maybe it is because the install crashed and I had to make it work with
> my limited experience. I tried to install it 3 times and it crashed
> during install every time.
>
> I even formated the drive and tried a clean install and it still crashed
> on install.

That is highly unusual. Don't get me wrong, I had my install of 9.2 hang on me
once, but I just restarted the install from scratch and all was well.

I'm by no means the biggest expert on here, but I see two real possibilities:

The installation is corrupted somehow. Maybe one or more of the ISO's were bad?
Hence the hideously bad experience on install...always check md5sums!

md5sum filename.iso

and compare it to what's on the Mandrake site.

More likely though is some hardware issue, I'm thinkin' bad RAM. Come to think
of it, you never did mention how much RAM you have in that machine (you really
should have at the very least 128, but if you are running KDE or Gnome, those
can really chew up memory, so 256 is what I usually recommend). I would try
swapping out the RAM and see if the performance doesn't change.

Also, right after you boot up, open a term and type:

dmesg > dmesg.txt

then open that text file in an editor and look for any errors, esp with regard
to memory.

--
JoeHill ++ ICQ # 280779813
Registered Linux user #282046