LVM, 'ext3' to 'reiserfs' conertion on '/' on software RAID5

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 12:07:37 UTC 2003

Hi TLUG!

   I posted this to an LVM-specific mailing list but I decided to repost
the question here to see if anyone might have some insight... This kinda
ies into my cluster question yesterday (same project) and has kinda
stopped my in my tracks! Anyway, thanks to all!

   Okay, the message/prob;

   I am relatively new to LVM but I have read most of the docs that I
could find on the topic and I am pretty strong on RAID and general
storage tech. With that said, here is my problem/scenario:

   I have a small test server that I am trying to use to learn how to
configure the '/' filesystem of a Fedora Core 1 install of linux to
reside on a software RAID5 array with an LVM VG on top of it and the
bulk of that partition on a single LV mounted as '/'. This so far is
just fine. Oh, fwiw, the four drives are SCSI on an Adaptec 2940x PCI
controller (three in use now, a forth to be used as a temp drive during
FS convertion and later added to the array) with another IDE drive used
for '/boot' and <swap>.

   Now what I am trying to do immidiately is to convert the '/'
filesystem from 'ext3' to 'resierfs'. ReiserFS is not an install-time
option and the LVM FAQ says simple to boot from a rescue CD, back the
'/' LV data up, re-format the LV with a ReiserFS and then restore the
data. Sounds easy enough, eh? Anyway, I have been able to do all of this
and I am even pretty sure that the data is intact because when I boot
the Fedora Core 1 Disk 1 using 'linux rescue' it scans for the install
and finds it on both '/dev/sdd1' (the drive I am using temporarily to
backup the '/' LV data to) and on '/dev/vg0/root' (the LV that started
life as an ext3 filesystem during the OS install).

   The problem is that when I boot into the OS proper something
somewhere is still telling something to do with LVM that the file system
is still ext3 and thus it throws a kernel panic. I have edited
'/etc/fstab', '/etc/mtab' and '/etc/blkid.tab' to read 'reiserfs'
instead of the original 'ext3'. Am I missing a file somewhere? Is there
a command I need to run to tell '/etc/lvmtab' or '/etc/lvmtab.d/root'
that the filesystem has changed? Am I missing something all together
different?

   Anywho, as a little heads up and maybe a little request for comment;
once I manage to get the '/' LV on ReiserFS the next thing I want to do
is add a forth drive (the '/dev/sdd' drive) to the RAID5 array, extend
it via 'raidreconf', add the new space to the PV, pass that space up to
the VG and finally extend the 'root' LV and update the filesystem while
online (hence the desire for ReiserFS). Am I on the right track? Does
anyone who has done this before have any pointers?

   Thanks all for listening to a n00by!!

Madison