Hello Every One

Stephen Oulton roulton623-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 19 06:11:53 UTC 2003

Hi I'm Stephen Oulton

I have been using Mandrake 9.1 for about 6 months now. When I first
started to try linux I used Lycoris it was fast and it didn't take much
hard drive space.

It wouldn't operate my scanner, and half of the programs that came with
it didn't work. They crashed frequently.

When I installed Mandrake I had lots of problems. It would crash while I
was installing it and I had to keep trying over and over again.

I finally got it working and it even runs my scanjet which Red Hat,
Conectiva, Lycoris Build 46, and 75 wouldn't do.

It runs very slow. When I click to start an application it takes about
30 seconds before the application starts to boot up.

I have found that most of the applications that came with it will work.
The ones that I would like to work don't. GT Catalog for one. I can read
a CD with Konqueror and it reads it fine. When I go to scan the CD with
GT Catalog it freezes the whole operating system. I can't even log out.
The only thing that works is the reset button.

My system is a Pentium III, 733 megahertz, with 2 10 gigabyte drives. I
don't think that is should run so slow.

I would like to completely get away from windows but I can't seem to
find a version of linux that will run all the peripherals. Even Mandrake
won't run my fax modem.

So far the only way I can use all of the functions on my computer is to
use windows.

Can anyone help me out.

Thanks
	Stephen Oulton